Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Getting Organized



I have always known that I'm not much of an auditory learner, but with this move it's become REALLY obvious.

I don't seem to retain much when I hear it, as opposed to reading it. You know how you sit down to a board game and someone offers to read the instructions if it's a new game or something? I ALWAYS have to read them myself to process it.

I don't do well when I have to sit and listen to lectures either. I have to read it to get it.

So....with this move, Brian is constantly updating me on things. I am CONSTANTLY asking the same questions a million times. The poor guy gets pretty frustrated. It's not that I don't listen, I just didn't write it down anywhere so it's not planted in my brain that's all. I try to listen and I try to pay attention, but it never fails that I ask him the same thing day after day. When do we hear about such and such? Who is going to call you about this and that? What has to happen before we find out that thing? So...when do we hear about such and such?

I decided to make a big book with EVERYTHING in it that I needed. I had all intentions of doing this when it all started, but we just had folders upon folders in different places or emails upon emails. I finally feel organized.

I have checklists, I have names & numbers in one area. There's just so much to keep track of and it comes from so many different places: Medical, Passport, Visa, Training, Home Rental, New Home, Shipping the car, Shipping our belongings, Storing our belongings, Travel.

I feel clearer when I'm organized. I like to write things down and check them off and have it all be in one place.

Brian got notified that he will be going to DC for his one week training in mid-April so I got to check something else off my list today and that always feel good!

No comments: