Friday, February 24, 2012

BBQ at a Friend’s House

I wish I took pictures…..but alas – I’ve gotten a bit lazy on the pic tasting.  We were invited to a BBQ at a friend’s house tonight.  Just our two families and then the big kids were going to spend the night (same friend with the amazing shoe collection).   Long story short – there was enough food to feed an army!   I think we had chicken, hamburgers, lamb chops (AMAZING grilled lamb chops), hot dogs and more.  Basically any meat around was on the grill and getting cooked up.  I don’t recall any vegetables…..

We also had some yummy Arabic bread pocket things that I got the recipe (through translation) from one of the maids who prepared it.  They were Arabic-Seasoned meats in a pocket of bread.  I ended up needing to modify the dough a little to get it to work well for me but they still came out okay when I tried it a few days later.

Arabic Bread Pockets (pretty sure there is a much more ethnic name for these but that’s all I got)

  • 3 1/2 cups white flour
  • 1 small spoon yeast
  • 2 big spoons powdered milk
  • 2 big spoons sugar
  • 1 small spoon salt
  • 1 Tb corn oil
  • 1 egg
  • 1 1/2 c warm water

Mix yeast, flour, milk, sugar, salt.  Crack in egg.  Add warm water.  Add corn oil.  Mix all together.  (I found I had to add a bit more flour until the consistency looked right)

Let raise for 30 minutes or until double in size. 

Roll it out and make circles.

FILLING

  • Minced Lamb and Oil to Fry Up
  • Finely Chopped Onions
  • 1 Clove Minced Garlic
  • 1 Lamb Buillon Cube
  • Salt
  • Lamb Masala Spice or Bazar Spice
  • 1 Chopped tomato at the end

Cool filling to room temperature.  Put filling in dough circles and fold/crimp.  Bake at 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes.

We ate and ate and ate some more and it was of course mixed in with servings of tea and servings of coffee and more servings of tea and more servings of coffee.  The tea came out with some delicious rock sugar with saffron on a stick.  Yummo in the tea!   Bella enjoyed the plain rock sugar on a stick too and by the time the words (these are great I love them) were out of her mouth – there was a box of each kind in our hand.  How generous!

We had a wonderful time and it was hard to leave but with droopy eyes and a not-feeling-too-well Alexander we had to pack it in.  The kids spent the time riding their 4-wheeler around the yard and playing with their doggies.  Brian helped set up the tent for the kids to all sleep in and enjoyed holding her baby lots (every time I see him with a baby I think mayyyybbbeee he wants another????  but – no.  He just loves holding them!)  The guys chatted it up the whole night and we agreed to have them over to our house next time!

No comments: