Monday, June 18, 2012

Downside of the Expat Lifestyle

Goodbyes.  They suck.  Big time.

I know that Expats get used to the goodbye thing.  At least I suppose they do since they deal with it all the time.  For me – not so much.

We lived in our last community for 14 years.   We had friends there for years.  Friends we made when me moved there who are still there and will probably be there when we return.  That’s what I love and what I appreciate and what I crave.  Long, strong friendships.  I have friends from high school and elementary school that I stay in touch with, regularly.

But this is sooooo hard.  This flash in the pan, hard and fast, just for a season friendship – ouch.  It’s so emotionally draining right now.

This is the end of the school year and the beginning of Summer.   It is the time that everyone flees the UAE.   People leave for vacation and people leave for new adventures.

In the past week Cameron has said goodbye to his best little neighborhood buddy, Alexander has said goodbye to one of his best friends here.  I’ve had to say goodbye to a few very dear friends and it sucks.

It reminds me of all the times I’ve said goodbye and brings back every one of those sad, sad emotions.  It reminds me of when I left for the military and I was sooo excited to be heading off into new adventures and it wasn’t until much later that it hit me that where I was leaving was a place that I was NEVER returning to, the people I was leaving were people that I would probably NEVER see again.

When we left WA state for here it was heartbreaking.  I was leaving dear, dear friends behind.  Friends that I know I will see again but will I live there again?  Will I have the same life I had then?  Who knows.

I have friends leaving here and they often say we’ll see each other again but you know there’s a good chance you won’t.  It was a friendship for a season and it was a rockstar, fabulous season but it’s done.  You’ll send a few emails, you might skype and you’ll follow eachothers families on facebook but it won’t ever be the same and it sucks.

I know the new year will bring new people and I’ll make brand new amazing friends for another season but it doesn’t make losing these ones any less sucky.

No comments: