Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thanksgiving in Abu Dhabi

We have a few things to be thankful for this year.  The opportunity to provide an experience in the Middle East for our family is a big one.  We have settled into our new home well and even though we are all missing home (and the friends & family back home) we have created some new routines here.

This was our first Thanksgiving.  I was soooo grateful and blessed to have my mom fly out here to be with us through our first holidays here and we invited some good friends over to spend Thanksgiving with us too.

I shopped for a week or two before Thanksgiving, in anticipation of having trouble finding what I needed.  One of the things I don’t enjoy here is the inconvenient way I have to shop.  There isn’t one store to go that has everything I need.  Heck – there aren’t even two stores I could go to and get all my shopping done.

In order to get Cranberry Sauce, items for stuffing, turkey, ingredients to make pies, etc… – I had to explore about 4 different places.  But – I got what I needed and we had a wonderful American feast right here in Abu Dhabi.

P1040958

My delicious Turkey Appetizer of vegetables!

 

                               P1040959       P1040961

My candle centerpieces (different colored beans with a vanilla candle in it)

     P1040962     P1040963

                                             The turkey!                                                          Potatoes, Asparagus, Stuffing, Sweet Potatoes & Salad

 

P1040969  P1040972  P1040973

The kids played football on one side and Cameron decided to play some frisbee.

 

P1040981                    IMG_3482

While the kids were waiting for dessert, I challenged them                                                Apple Pie & Pumpkin Pie!

            to make something out of legos for Thanksgiving. 

  Katie (my friend’s daughter) made a turkey and Alexander made the first Thanksgiving.

No comments: