Saturday, December 31, 2011

Coldplay in Abu Dhabi on NYE

Here it is, the final day of 2011 and we are in Abu Dhabi.

We decided to attend the Coldplay concert with some friends.  They were playing at a venue up on the beach.  They were planning to take their son and so we decided to bring Alexander along too.  The concert was late and we decided to take a cab from our friend’s place.  We had to be dropped off and walk about a 1/2 mile because of traffic.

The concert was awesome!!  They put on a fantastic show.  They play their own instruments and actually sing themselves!  Fantastic performers.

When the concert finished we walked back towards where we came to try and catch a cab.  No luck.  We walked a little further to a grocery store and got snacks and waited a bit for a cab.  No luck.  We walked another 1/2 mile or so looking for a cab the whole time.  No luck.  It was incredibly insane.  My feet were killing me and I was walking with my boots in my hand by this point.  It was so ridiculous that it was funny if you weren’t so overtired and annoyed.  People were walking everywhere trying to get a cab and NOT A SINGLE one was out and available.  It was RIDICULOUS!

Finally……one stopped.  We knew that the 7 of us couldn’t fit into one cab so we sent some in one cab with the idea that Brian would get our car and come back for the rest of us.

They took off  (I think it had been about 2.5 hours since the concert) and we waited around in the hopes of maybe even catching another cab.  It was now my friend Yvonne, me and our two boys.  A cab stopped ahead and picked up a couple and then pulled over for us (the really nice couple asked them to stop for us).  The cab driver didn’t want to pick us up because they have a rule of only 4 people in the car but the woman spoke the same language and kept reassuring him that we didn’t’ care and it was ok and to just drive.  He let us all in and I tried hard to make the seatbelts fit us, but they didn’t.  I rode with Alexander on my lap and held on tight and hoped/prayed for the best.

We finally arrived back at the compound – exhausted but happy.  We all had a fantastic time ringing in 2012!

 

              IMG_4207             IMG_4208IMG_4211

IMG_4215

It might say Happy New Year, I’m not sure….

No comments: